Tuesday, August 13, 2013

With All My Heart

I have been participating in my first online Bible study called "When Women Say Yes to God" and it has been such a blessing.  I'm a little new at connecting through the online community, but when I saw a chance to write something on my blog about one of the topics, I thought it would be a good challenge for me.  I have recently been studying Deuteronomy 6:5,

"Love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, soul and strength." 

I've heard and read this verse too many times to count.  I even have this verse up in my kitchen for the boys to memorize (thanks, ABC Scripture Cards!).  I thought I had this verse down pat!  But when I stopped to think what it really means, as far as applying it to my life, I found myself lacking.

When really thinking about this verse, I found myself thinking of my boys.  My loves.  My children. 
 
 
So I began a list of what it means to love my boys with all my heart, soul and strength.  That was the easy part.
 
  • I will change my plans or schedule for them
  • I will always have time for them
  • I feel incomplete without them
  • I think about them constantly
  • I think of their needs before my own
  • I'm willing to serve them even if I'm tired, had a hard day, regardless of their attitudes
  • I consider serving them a blessing and a priviledge
  • I would fight tooth and nail for them
  • I would defeat enemies for them
  • I lovingly talk to them to teach and guide them
  • I do not run from the hard parts of raising them
  • I do not let the fear of failure keep me from doing my very best with them
  • If I fail, I ask for forgiveness and I move forward to the next challenge
  • I take time to listen to them, even when dinner is boiling over and they are struggling to get the words out.
  • I listen to all of their ideas and encourage them
  • I take time to get to know them
  • I crave to be in their presence
  • I miss them when we are apart
  • I love them all the time; the good, the bad and the ugly
  • I know they love me for what I am and not how I look or what skills I have
  • Their love is not linked to my talents
  • They only want my attention
  • They don't need, and aren't impressed with my accomplishments
  • They depend on me to bring Jesus into our home and introduce them to His love.
Now, I look at my list and think of my Father in Heaven.  Do I really love him like this?  Well I ought to!  I ought to crave his presence!  I ought to miss him when we are not together.  My heart ought to feel the missing piece if I'm not walking beside Him!  I should be willing to change my whole schedule to just sit with Him.  I need to be willing to serve him, even when I'm tired or discouraged.  I should be willing to fight for him at all costs!  This is what it means to me to love Him with all my heart, soul and strength. 
  
This is my goal for this study.  To meditate on this verse and develop a relationship with Him that fills my heart like my boys do.  An unexplainable and fierce love that takes up all my heart, soul and strength.  This is the love that He desires from me and this is the love that will move my mountains and break my chains.
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Paige...I LOVE how you used your list of how you love your kids to show how you should love God. What a great lesson here. And one that I am taking to heart today. Thank you for sharing your words! Blessings~Shelly (OBS Team Leader/Blog Hop Coordinator)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! What a great way to look at things! Do we make as much effort to show our love and devotion to our Lord and Creator as we do the other loves in our life? I will be pondering on this one too!

    ReplyDelete