Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Mario Ninja Turtle Birthday!

I can’t believe my baby turned 4 this summer!  I am slowly watching as my squishy little snuggle monkey is shooting up through all of his size 4T shorts and out of his size 9 tennis shoes.  There is no denying it.  I have a preschooler on my hands!  Look at my big boy in his booster seat!  No more 5 point harness.

 
All year leading up to the big 4, Ty has asked for a Mario Brothers birthday party.  I had decorations done (thanks B!) and cake planned when a month before the party he decided he wanted Ninja Turtles as a theme.  Yeesh.  But who really makes the “birthday party theme rules” anyway??  Why not have Mario with a little cameo from the pizza-eating, crime fighting, sword swinging green guys?  So this mama plopped a pic of the Ninjas on the invite and hit reprint!
 
It was Ty’s year to have a big party, so when I asked him what he wanted to do, he said he just wanted his friend Caden to come over and play.  That’s it.  So we had a backyard bash with his friend, Caden, Caden’s family and the rest of our clan!  We had pizza and fruit inside (lesson learned from previous summer birthday that flies are a problem with fruit food outside) and ate under canopies in the backyard.  We had cornhole, the water table and a bubble machine set up.  We borrowed most all of our supplies and had a very fun budget-friendly party.  Once the kids got together, we hardly saw them other than presents and cake time.  They had a blast. 




 
I did a mushroom cake in honor of Mario and his brother, and then conjured up a quick Ninja Turtle cake.  I loved how the mushroom cake came out!  I actually baked that thing in a mixing bowl.  Then used halved marshmallows for the dots. 




Braden made almost all of the Mario décor, which I turned into a couple of banners and then I added some streamers.  Streamers do a lot and are cheap cheap cheap! 
 
We also decided to have a morning party this year.  We were able to be outside before it got too hot, and finished up before afternoon naps.  We opened presents before lunch and cake.  This mama is just breaking all kinds of rules this year.  Huge steps as a recovering Perfectionist. 



 
Happy Birthday to my little Preschooler!  My boy who loves all forms of plastic weaponry as well as the occasional “gwoop hug, gwoop hug!” 

 
Love you, Ty!

No comments:

Post a Comment