Thursday, August 15, 2013

Radical Obedience

P31 OBS Blog Hop

 
This week in my Bible study, we are discussing Radical Obedience.  When I think Radical, I think more like selling all my possessions and moving to the Amazon to share the gospel.  But obedience does not necessarily need to be something quite that life changing in order to change your life.
 
I am struggling with an issue that has been with me almost my whole life.  It has framed how I look at myself and think of myself.  It affects all relationships in my life including how I view my value in His Kingdom.  I have tried to master it, and failed.  Over and over and over.  I have failed publicly, privately and everywhere in between.  I have given up, convinced myself I'm fine with where I am, and tried to move on.  It continues to come back again and again.  Obviously it is something God is not quite finished with.
 
God has been whispering to my heart how to set some priorities.  I am one who struggles with balance in my life.  There never seems to be enough hours in the day to do all I want to do and have any energy left at the end of the day.  My body wants to drop on the couch and veg out with mindless TV before heading to bed.  But God is showing me that this time at night is just as valuable as the rest of the day.  I have prayed for help with balance.  He is answering me with guidance on priorities.
 
I feel he is asking me to wake up early and instead of using that time to work out, He wants my first fruits of time.  He wants me to spend that quiet time in the morning with Him.
 
At the same time, He is impressing on my heart to use some of that evening time to work out.  Working out does have value and there is a place for it, but its not first thing in the morning before sitting with my Heavenly Father. 
 
So are these two things "Radical?"  Well, getting up at dark-thirty could be radical to some, I guess.  Does this involve me selling possessions and applying for a Visa?  No, it doesn't.  Will it change my life?  Man, I hope so!  I can't wait to see what God does when this small-time, ordinary Mama decides to listen to His whispers and prioritize His way.  I can't wait to see what He will do when I choose to obey!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! Time management and finding balance among priorities can be so tough in our modern lifestyles. I'm always trying to find little pockets of time and grouping errands trying to cut down on travel. Wish I could just streamline everything in my life! But God works in unpredictable ways and I have to say, that morning devotional time can be so crucial. My mood is drastically different if I don't get to have my "God time" in the morning. May He speak to You and show you many blessings as you obey his calling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent with the Lord is such a gift and the reward of getting to know Him better is priceless. Love your blog post and your saying "yes" to God!!

    Blessings, Trish (OBS small group leader-P31)

    ReplyDelete