Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ashland Dragons

B told me the other night during prayers and song time that he has a crew at school and that he is the leader.  They are called the Out of Control Dragons, a.k.a. the Ashland Dragons.  I couldn't resist telling him that this little leader better be IN control while in the classroom. 

We talked a little about his role as the "leader" and how its important for him to do the right thing so his crew will follow him.  That's a good leader.  If he makes bad decisions and the crew follows him, that's a bad leader.  B explained to me, "well, I wouldn't say I was a perfect leader, but I'm not a really really bad leader either."  Well thank goodness for that!


I'm reading a book by Sharon Jaynes called Being a Great Mom Raising Great Kids.  Its talking about listening to your kids with your ears, eyes, heart, face, lips and mind.  If you don't know who your kid's best friend is, who his favorite teacher is, what his favorite song, or show is, what he may want to be when he grows up etc, you aren't spending enough time getting to know your kid.  I've been trying the last couple days to really listen to them.  Meaning stop what I'm doing when they are telling me something important and make eye contact, nod my head and ask some follow up questions.  I don't know if its coincidence or not, but B is talking to me up a storm.  I've been so worried about B's moodiness lately, its so wonderful to have him telling me about his crew, things that happened at school (more than, how was school... fine.), and somewhere in the middle of these conversations, we talk a little about leadership, a little about trust and telling the truth and some other important lessons.  He also listens when I tell him about some problem at work and I ask for his opinion.  He is so precious to me and I want him to feel valued.


I realize it isn't always completely feasible to stop what I'm doing, especially when I'm trying to get supper on the table before my hungry 2 yr old completely loses it, but I'm certainly going to take a crack at it.  Its completely worth hearing about a new friend he made today, or that he may want to be a college science teacher someday. 


I'll never get these days back.  They are growing up so quickly and like Pastor B says, we have to grow these relationships now, while they still think we know everything.  Then hopefully they will still come to us later, when they think they know everything.

Love being a mom.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! And am inspired to try harder with Hannah. I struggle with the listening too. But I expect her to hang on every word out of my mouth. As for B's "crew"...I feel another pink ladies group coming on...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? We are doing the best we can, but sometimes, as moms we lose it.

      Delete