Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Break ~ Potty Training Edition

DAY 1 - Wednesday
Wednesday after we got home from DC was Day 1 of potty training.  I put Ty in big boy underwear as soon as he woke up and announced for all to hear, "no more diapers!"


We watched movies, ate salty snacks and drank plenty of fluids.  My potty prep table.  TP, extra underwear, goldfish, and three different kinds of liquids!



What I did not expect or plan for was B's demand for attention.  Not sure what that was all about.  He wouldn't get more than about 4 feet away from me and was "Mommy look" and "Mommy watch me" -ing me to death!

These are the Ninja weapons he made to help us with potty training.


It took all morning to get a score in the potty but the candy was ready and waiting.


  Fully expected to clean and do laundry all day the first and possibly second day.  Hoped he would start getting it by Friday.  He liked his new potty right away and could sit on it all by himself.

 
Finally after one accident, we got a score!  After he figured out he would get candy, he would sit and get in a couple of drops and yell "candy!"  And since B would get a piece of candy too, he was a great encourager, asking him over and over if he wanted to try again.  Ty did mostly drive-by squats the entirety of Day 1.  He would run around and play and then sit down for a second and put in a few drops and move on.  Sometimes he chose to just leave off the underwear all together.  I'm really proud that he wants to take them off and put them on himself.  Night and day from B!
Prayed for patience for me and an agreeable spirit for Ty and some understanding on B's part as I was fully planning to be in the house for the next 3 days.

DAY 2 - Thursday

I don't have many more pictures from the rest of the week.  This was basically his uniform for Day 1 and 2. 


It was chilly outside but we had the heat up in the house, don't worry!  Ty did amazing on Day 2.  He woke up from bed and nap dry.  He scored many times in the potty and we even had a successful #2 on Day 2.  We played outside some and he had one accident while out there.  He needs to figure out how to stop playing for a minute when the urgency arises.  Day 2 was a big deal!  I was very encouraged.

DAY 3 - Friday

Day 3 started out great.  I decided to try a couple of short excursions outside the house since things were going so well.  I needed a grocery store run.  The flip side of the kids being home all week is they ate me out of house and home.  We had almost nothing left.  It was like Locusts had landed and devoured everything edible.  Pretty sure I will need a second job when they are teenagers just for the amount of food they will consume.

I made everyone use the potty before leaving.  Ty did awesome!  He stayed dry the whole time.  I did feel like I had a ticking time bomb in my basket.  Whew!  He did have an accident shortly after we got home.  Note to self, he needs to go as soon as we get home.

We also tried to go to the playground for a bit, but both boys were acting really tired and grouchy, so that was very short lived.  We got home and had lunch and naps.  I decided to stop asking Ty every 5 seconds whether or not he needed to go and just see if he would go on his own.  The potty stayed in the very prominent place in front of the TV in the great room.

He did great after nap!  No accidents!  We went to Sweet Frog to celebrate and he even had a successful trip to the public restroom with J and B!

DAY 4 - Saturday

I went on a girls day shopping trip with some good friends.  It was crazy nice to actually get dressed and swipe on some mascara after being in PJs for 3 days.  Ty did awesome for J and no accidents at all!  I think we are on to something!!!

DAY 5 - Sunday

Church today and potty training set backs.  He just wasn't comfortable there.  I was really upset about it, but then when we got home and he did so well the rest of the day and evening, I realized the training was not necessarily out the window.  Thanks for the encouragement, Tracy!

Day 6 - Monday

On to daycare where he will be observed by professionals!  Thanks, Miss Francis!

All in all, the 3 day potty training bootcamp worked great for Ty.  Much much better than the 8 month of bribery and tears method that we used for B.  He is not 100% potty trained, but we are out of diapers and not looking back.  I'm going to follow our friends, the Martin family's, lead and get a travel potty for the back of the Tahoe.  They never have to worry about finding a potty for the boys when we are out and about.  Great for emergencies! 

What a big boy Ty is!  And thanks for B for all his encouragement and help!  He got to go pick out a toy and J brought him home "Open it Kai" which is the last Ninjago he was missing from his collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment