Monday, April 16, 2012

Spring Break 2012 ~ DC Trip!

We had such a fun trip to Washington DC! 

Just a warning, I have pictures galore. 
I was worried when we got there since the wind was crazy and kicking up a lot of dirt.  The kind that swirls around like mini tornadoes and your eyes feel gritty.  The boys were not happy, and then I remembered that since Justin has suggested carrying a backpack instead of my diaper bag, I had packed that puppy with all kinds of goodies including the boys sunglasses!  Dirt crisis averted!  Thanks, Babe!

The kids loved loved loved the metro!  We got day passes on Monday when we got there and rode it a bunch. 


B figuring out how to put in his ticket.

We did realize Monday night that our hotel was across the street from the museums, so the metro was probably not necessary, but we rode up to Chinatown and jumped on and off a few times so the boys could get a feel of what people do.  Ty was so funny on the escalators and would count until the "big step."

"One two three, BIG STEP!"  That's would be his big step to get on or off the escalator.

The first thing we did was walk up to the Monument.  Well... I walked.  The boys ran up the big hill and then J joined them.  B even said running up to the Monument was his favorite part.  Crazy child.

Oh, a tree!  Of course we should climb it!


B was so helpful pushing the stroller. 

We walked around to the Martin Luther King Memorial.  Its just beautiful. 

You can feel a hush there as people really take a look and reflect what Dr. King's life meant.  I reminded the boys that he was a Pastor and got his views and love of all people from God and His Word.  The place sits right on the Tidal Basin where you can see the Thomas Jefferson Memorial across the way. 

We were going to take some peddle boats across the water but with the winds gusting 25-30 mph all day we thought that would not go over well. 

While sitting there I got the phone call from my sis that she is going to be having a little baby boy!  So excited for her and for me to have a new nephew!

We walked on to the Lincoln Memorial.  Before we got there we realized we were starving so we stopped and had hot dogs at a stand.  It was a beautiful day and we sat under trees and rested a bit.  B got a Sprite, so he was happy.  Special occasions only for soda.

Waiting for his $6 hot dog.



J and I had gone to DC for our anniversary which is what prompted this trip.  I just couldn't explain how huge Lincoln is to B and I knew he just had to see it!  I was not disappointed with his reaction!  B has just the right amount of wonderment and awe for all of this.  Such an awesome kid! 

He kept wanting me to take his picture standing next to the Memorials so we could see how small he was compared to them.  At Lincoln, he kept standing on his tip toes and asking for me to take another picture to see if he looked taller.  So cute!

Tyler demanded to do all the steps at Lincoln "all my myself!"  And he did!  Some of the people sitting out there were cheering him on and he would stop and make his shy face (I have got to get that on camera) and then keep rolling.  He made it up all of them. 

After Lincoln the boys looked a little tired.  We started walking back to the metro and got ice cream on the way to get a little sugar energy so we could make it.  It was a long way back!

B being goofy and entertaining Ty.
They got their energy back for a bit and ran all over the beautiful park we were walking through.

Marco!

Polo!

Oh, there you are!

Ty fell asleep on J's shoulder while we were walking back and he stayed that way until we walked into the hotel room!

I thought the boys would be exhausted, I know I was, but they were bouncing around the room and having so much fun on the beds. 

Since no nap was happening, we went down to the Promenade Shops under our hotel.  They had an entire indoor mall under the hotel with a food court and even a metro stop.  Talk about convenient!  We got some supper and then rode the metro around again.  Bad picture, but look at B's face!  He loved the metro!

We got back and got cleaned up and passed out!

This was our hotel.

Tuesday we got on up pretty early as usual and headed out to the Smithsonian Castle. 

Favorite picture!

We watched a little movie to get the guys excited for the museum and went to The Museum of Natural History.  The boys loved the dinosaurs best. 

We looked around for about an hour and noticed the boys were fading fast.  That's the great thing about the museums being free!  We just left!

On to Sprinkles Cupcakes in Georgetown!


Ty eating his Black and White cupcake.  My Lemon with Coconut Creme is below.

I just love Georgetown.  Its beautiful.  The trees, the homes, the little shops...

After cupcakes for everyone, we walked back to the car and headed on home.  The kids were DONE!  They slept most of the way home.


We had an awesome trip to DC.  We plan on coming back on the train and just do the zoo.  I just love spending time with all of my guys and getting away overnight makes such special memories!

We didn't even spend a ton of money since I got the hotel on a last minute deal and most of the stuff there is free.  I did score some T-Shirts from the hotel gift shop since it was the 100th anniversary of the Cherry Blossom Trees.  Of course, I don't really remember seeing any since they peaked a few weeks back.  Mildest winter we've had that I can remember.

Can't wait for the next adventure!

2 comments: