Friday, April 20, 2012

Sad little question

Braden asked me a sad little question the other night.  He asked me if J and I were ever going to break up like one of his school friend's parents did. 
This is us in high school, our senior year.  High school sweethearts.  I just can't seem to shake him.  :)  Yes, it was a Hollywood theme.  Corny.  And we were the first people on the dance floor.  Maybe corny?  Or at least corny-cool?

This is the note I wrote on the back of our Prom picture back in 1997.  Yes, I'm ridiculous.  I'm sitting here grinning ear to ear just looking at this. 


I knew I wanted to marry this guy, and thank you God for answering that prayer! 



Ten years and two beautiful boys later, we are still very much in love.  The laughter we share forging through this life (same team!) is just inexplicably wonderful and fulfilling.  I look at these pictures and this little note, and I have an enormous sense of having every single thing I need in life.  (Something Target can't even supply!)

This is my all time favorite picture of us.  It was taken at our Senior Year Picnic. 


I have no idea why this picture makes me so happy (maybe its the french fries and burger I'm holding?).  Justin thinks I'm nuts.  I think it just shows us as "us" at that time.  No posing, no false smiles.  In high school so much is about looks and perceptions.  J and I were always for being "real."  That was very important to us then as it is now.  No games.  Just truth.

This picture resided in a small weird little frame I put it in 15 years ago and I never took it out, afraid the picture would flake like old pictures do.  B was playing basketball this weekend and knocked it off of the ledge it sits on and broke the frame.  I scanned it as soon as I could and have it in a ziplock bag ready for the frame I'll buy today and will place it back into a very prominent place in our home. 

Ten years is a lot in this day in age.  I'm extremely proud of it and how hard we have worked to get where we are. 

Sure, we have had some rough times.  We sure have had even more fun and wonderful times.  And I'll work on and fight for this marriage with everything in me until I'm in heaven.  Its the one thing on this earth I know, without a doubt, God wants for me to succeed in.  I thank Him daily for my man and what we have.  We high five often (me and J, not me and God.  Although God did high five me once, but that's another post entirely).

I told Braden, that no, we weren't ever going to break up.  And I asked if he knew why, fully preparing to talk about the covenant of marriage and God's plan for us etc etc.  B's answer?
"I know why, its because he's cute, right?"
Yep, that's exactly why.  :)

6 comments:

  1. Paige, I think that is the greatest post i've ever read. Very uplifting Lil P


    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! You and Christi are a great example. Marriage is so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Paige, you have expressed your love for each other so very well. Marriage is like a garden. If you don't work at it every day, the weeds will take over. You're doing a good job working at staying in love. That is so very important1 Take it from Russ and I. We celebrated 50 years of marriage last September. Sometimes I still feel like that high school girl so in love with this cute guy! Hope your love lasts just as long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ms. Vi! You and Mr. Russ are a great example of a loving marriage and gives us young uns hope we can still be in love after 50 years!

      Delete
    2. I LOVED this post - thanks for sharing. You are very perceptive and wise for being so young. Praise God for your wonderful parents and Justin's family and your faith in your Heavenly Father. What a legacy you are passing on to your boys.

      Delete