Thursday, November 8, 2012

God's got such a fun personality and lunch with my mama!

I get lunch with my Mama today!  Yay!

Don't you love it when God shows us just a little tiny piece of his fun personality? 

I was reading a devotion this morning about "owning your life." About consciously building a life that enriches your soul.  About building a fulfilled, beautiful life with where you are right now, and what you have right now for yourself and everyone in your care. It was based on this verse:

"A wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands, a foolish one tears hers down." Prov 14:1

I'm not talking about wood and nails here.  The foolish woman is so focused on images of a another life, maybe one she imagined with she was a child, or earlier in her marriage, and she unintentionally neglects what is beautiful, what she enjoys and what brings life to her very soul, as she becomes over-run by the mundane.  So she tears down her little home and family, one small thought at a time, as she longs for an ideal and nurtures thoughts of something other than what God has for her.

I can SO see myself in this at times.

So my homework for myself today was to start creating anchors of joy into my life.  I love that image.  An anchor holds a ship in place so it doesn't just flail about aimlessly depending on the wind.  To own this life God has made especially for me, I need to figure out those things that make me feel anchored to this life with purpose.  I started making a list of things that refresh me, that tends to my soul.  I love the thought of tending to my soul.  What is encouraging to me?  Some of the things included:

Running in my little town
Writing
Planting flowers and veggies in our yard
Date nights and kiss'in with my man
Lunch errands or wanderings in favorite stores (Hobby Lobby, anyone?)
Lunch and shopping with my Mama
Lunch with friends
Shopping at Goodwill
Finding neat pieces of jewelry for cheap

So this morning, a person from work (who is pretty brand name everything obsessed) comes in and tells me they really like my bracelet.  Hello, Walmart find!  Then, my Mama calls me about 30 minutes later and asks to do lunch today!  Don't you just love it when God just reaches down and hugs you?!  I mean, seriously people, that's a heavenly hug if I've ever felt one! 

I desire so much to be that wise woman and not the foolish one.  I want to consciously build my home.  To tend to my soul.  So that at the end of the day my family sees a smiling loving Mama, and not one who is tired and weary and waving around her "To-Do List."

I choose joy today.  Not to say I will accomplish this perfectly every day.  But as one of my favorite writers, Lysa TerKeurst says, I strive for "Imperfect Progress."



Inspired by How a Wise Woman Builds Her Home by Kristen Kill

No comments:

Post a Comment