Monday, November 12, 2012

A little painting and girl, interrupted

Ever have one of those weekends where you do a couple of projects around the house and they are just fail fail fail?  Yeah, that's most of the time for me if I try to get into something and its over my head.  But not this weekend!  J and I tackled two things that have been on the list for a while.  It started off just painting the mantel.  The mantel was a very 1980's oak.  All of the trim in our home is white.  It just didn't fit and needed an update.  After looking at a lot of blogs where ordinary people who were not super crafty or pro DIY-ers successfully updated their mantle, I finally got the nerve.

We spent the most money on the primer and brushes.  Very worth it.  The hardest part of the whole thing is mashing together Mr. Meticulous and Ms. Just-jump-in-and-slap-some-paint-on-it.  Seriously, I felt like a jungle cat pacing the front of the cage while J very carefully taped up the mantel for painting.

But I have to remember, past projects do not lie.  And most of mine have to be touched up, or all together redone, while his look amazing.  So jungle cat folded laundry and practiced deep breathing.

And since the mantel was easier than we thought it would be, and all the paint supplies were already spread out on the dining room table, we decided to go ahead and do the bathroom too!  J replaced the light fixture and cabinet hardware and refinished the vanity.  That chocolate brown was just beautiful in there!  I painted the ugly army green accent wall, and everything else a pretty soft green.  And tried my hand at cutting in without tape.  It turned out great!  Love that feeling of a project done right.  Doesn't happen for me often.  And I had to let go of the mommy guilt from not playing with my boys 100% of the weekend.  But they did great and there was even a little less fussing.  Score!

See those handsome hands in the corner still taping?  That's why I'm not touching up the green wall as we speak.

You ever meet someone new and get nervous so your talk incessantly button is pushed and you leave the encounter realizing you didn't let her complete one sentence or really get to know much about her at all?  Really, that doesn't happen to anyone else?

It was one of those things where it didn't really hit me until I was lying awake at 2am that night after changing Ty's sheets from an oopsie, thought-I-had-a-pull-up-on moment.  I started feeling very embarrassed while kicking around the covers trying to find somewhere for my legs to rest amongst the two dogs who took over my side of the bed while I was getting Ty back to bed.  That poor woman.  I wonder if she thinks I'm a nutcase.  I mean, even if she would be right, that's not really the impression I wish to make.  I have got to get control of the nervous talking tick.  Yeesh.

And then a little look into my Sunday night.  The cowboy hat didn't fit since its been smashed in one to many times, so we needed the Fedora to ride Secretariat.


 And yes, why that is fire starter sticks in the corner of my family room.  Anyone else not have room in your outdoor shed for your impromptu fire pit supplies?
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment