Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Convicted

I have had a hate/hate relationship with my hair the last year or so.  Not sure if its because of health issues, horror-mones or aging, but my once wavy, silky fine hair has turned into a mop of fuzz.  I have tried shampoos, deep conditioners, an adventure with Apple Cider Vinegar (that is way too fresh to share right now, but involved vomit and a sick day in the bed) and vitamins.  I have brushed, picked, towel dried, flat ironed AND curling ironed (which is more ironing of anything than I've ever done in my entire life!).  Nothing has helped this mess.  Finally I decided to stop everything and put it up in a bun daily and just leave it alone.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I obsessed about it for months though and gripe about it often.

So I'm sitting at work one morning, filling in for someone at a different desk than usual, and I overhear a conversation between a patient and one of my fellow front deskers who has battled and beat cancer this year.  She is sporting her bandanna on her fabulous head that is just growing a little peach fuzz back after chemo.  The patient, also a cancer survivor, was saying how she hears people complaining about their hair, and it just blows her mind after all she had been through.  What a smack in the face!  Guilty!


I had one of those moments to myself, sitting there listening to their amazing testimonies.  I wanted to say something to the patient so badly when she checked out, but couldn't find a moment to do so.  I was so disappointed to not be able to tell her what a difference her story made to me. 

In comes God, stage left!  She left her receipt on my desk.  My opportunity!  I took full advantage of my second chance and wrote her a thank you note to send along with her receipt.  I needed her to know how sharing her story opened my eyes.  Its important to tell people these things right when it happens.  If I don't, chances are I will chicken out.


Lord Jesus, thank you for the realty check.  How dare I not be thankful for having a head of hair.  For not having to suffer through what these courageous and amazing ladies have conquered.  Please Lord, help me to remember this moment next time I'm irritated at something so trivial like fuzzy hair or skin that still breaks out at 34 years old.  Or if I don't have the "right" statement necklace for an outfit.  Help me not be that shallow.  Help me to think of these ladies and others like them and their battle for life.  Lord thank you so much for the reminder.  Thank you for my life and the beautiful day today that I get to enjoy and be a part of.

Love always,
Wanting to be a better person

No comments:

Post a Comment