Thursday, July 26, 2012

Love when the boys rally!

Last night we had swim lessons.  I have been very proud of Braden this year and how much he has improved with his swimming!  Ty, on the other hand surprised me in the other direction.  My little fearless silly heart has cried every single lesson.  Last week was the worst!  I had been getting in the pool with them and playing with whomever was waiting his turn for his lesson.  Our swim teacher suggested me staying out in the lobby this time and see if it helped Ty.  When B was this age, me being in the lobby was the worst thing I could have done.  He settled so much better when I was in the pool area watching.  He has some trust issues with people he doesn't know well.  So I didn't know what to expect doing this with Ty.

As a Mom I have learned its way better to prepare for potentially difficult situations.  A snack and some water could make the difference between a whiny child and a happy child.  So prepare this time, I did.  I left work early, picked up the kids from school and realized both were exhausted from school and the attitudes?  Whew!  I was NOT looking forward to the swim lesson drama.

I had about 15 extra minutes, so we dropped by the house and dumped all of our bags and paraphernalia from the school and work day (which immediately put me in a better mood!).  I got them changed into swimsuits and grabbed nabs ("orange crackers, mommy") and water bottles and out the door we went.  B helped me talk up the lesson with Ty, how well he was going to do, no fussing and if everyone was good at the lessons, Happy Meals for all!  (Yes, I'm not above bribery at sometimes) 

We got there and BOTH boys rallied and overcame the attitudes!  I was so so proud of them!  B and I found our spot in the lobby to camp out where we could see Ty but he couldn't see a lot of us.  B settled down with my iPhone to look at Mario Bros stuff on Etsy and had his snack.  I walked Ty into the pool area and he marched right up to our teacher and said,

"I not gonna fuss this time.  Only ONE swim lesson.  Acause we gonna go to McDonalds."

So funny!  He went to the teacher and I left and was able to watch my boy, who cried the entire lesson last week, and cried in the car driving from school, as he laughed and played with her and then jumped off the side of the pool and WENT ALL THE WAY UNDER THE WATER! 

I am just so proud of him.  It was like a different kid at this lesson.

B got in there when it was his turn and tore it up!  Was going under, swimming freestyle... so proud of him!

During B's lesson, I got Ty changed into some warm clothes (water is freezing in there) and he settled down in a chair and ate his snack and played his Leapster.  He looked so cute sitting over there, I had to snap a picture.


After the lesson, as promised, we headed to McDs.  The boys were asking me if we could go in and since B had his swim trunks on I said no.  The request from Ty to go in by himself since he didn't have his trunks on was also denied.  Then they asked if we could eat in the car?  What a weird request.  So we pulled into our driveway, turned the music up and ate and danced!








When J pulled up in the truck from work, he probably thought we were nuts.  Or locked out of the house.  Wished I could say that never happens.  Ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment