Monday, July 23, 2012

Burdened

I really really wanted a light cutesy post for this Monday morning.  I wanted some fun pictures of the boys and a great adventure story.  Just not feeling it today.  I have a lot of friends and people in my life with some pretty hefty burdens. 

"Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

We can listen and we can hurt for people and get a little tiny taste of how God hurts for his people.  But when is the load too heavy for us to bear?  I thank Jesus that he knows we are humans and can only carry but so much.  I am naturally a fixer.  I hear of someones troubles and I want to give advice, help them in some way to conquer the problem, be their savior.  Or as my hubby says, "I want the slow clap."  But then carrying the burden becomes about me and how I can gain glory through their victory.  That sort of defeats the whole thinking-of-others thing.

I tend to heap on these burdens and worries until I can hardly take a deep breath.  Its a good way for me to begin breaking down and then I'm no use to anyone.  I get home from work, and I have no emotional support left for J and my little ones.  That's no good.  So where is the line?

"Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:4-7

The Lord is near.  Not, Paige is near.  Instead of me trying to jump in and save, I need to be gentle with my friends, listen and remind them of the Lord's presence.  And for me?  I need to present my requests to God, pray over these friends in trouble.  But these anxieties, these burdens I'm carrying, need to be cast on to the one who can carry them without getting weary.  And then both the prayer warrior, and the ones who need prayer, will receive the peace of God, which no one on earth will understand (including ourselves!).

And keeping the focus on God and the power he actually has, keeps me open to hearing when God does give me a task to do to help.  And I can dive in knowing he has given me divine direction and the glory will be his and not mine. 

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."  Philippians 4:8-9

Again, there is that peace.  We are to carry these burdens, pray over them and give them to God, and then focus on the positive.  This is what brings peace while still helping our friends.  Turning other's problems over and over in my mind and focusing on the negative will only cause stress and sleepless nights.  I need to let God be the fixer.

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior.  My hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25


No comments:

Post a Comment